Friday, January 2, 2009

Would I give you a kidney?

That’s when you know you have cracked into my inner-most sanctum. The holiest of all holy places….that is if you need a kidney.

It is probably inappropriate, okay no probably about it, inappropriate to evaluate friendships and acquaintances this way. But simply saying “I’ve got your back” or “I’d go to the wall for you” is too vague for me. I'd give you a kidney says it all, no wiggle room.

Some who have earned a spot on my “kidney list” would surprise you, like my old cleaning lady Maxine. At sixty-five, she could clean circles around me and was one of the kindest, most hard-working individuals I have ever met. Her advanced age made her addition to the list even more notable, because she may have taken me up on it. But I loved her. I cried when I left her behind in Columbus and moved here.

If you have my enduring love, chances are good that you are on the “kidney list” (BTW it’s a mental list). I do pray nightly for everyone on the list. I pray that you are well and that your kidneys never fail!

Footnote #1: I wrote this “tongue-in-cheek” because I’m always saying “willy-nilly” that I would give a kidney to this person or that person. When I read this piece of writing to my husband he thought it was serious and sweet. How did you take it???? And more importantly do you think my marriage has a chance?????? :)

Footnote #2: The easiest way to respond is to click “leave a comment.” Then in the box write your comment and sign it so I know who you are. Then type in the word verification and select the “Anonymous” box, then click “publish your comment.” Hope to hear from you. Caren

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caren,

You make me laugh. I do not have kidney list, but do know someone who gave her kidney to a co-worker. It truely is an amazing gift. It was great to see you and Bob over the Christmas Holidays. Give my best to Bob.

BTW I have your backs? Wow!!!

Greg