Friday, February 4, 2011

Fun is the Pathway to a Successful Life

"Having fun is not a diversion from a successful life; it is the pathway to it." Martha Beck

My quest for fun today involved a little “retail therapy.” I haven’t done much of it lately. Maybe that’s why it felt so good. The weather spit rain in my face all day long and the clouds threatened to bring an end to daylight as I know it. It felt like Alaska when they have 24 hours of darkness or is it 24 hours of daylight? I really should have paid more attention in school. My sixteen hour marathon website update had the pain in my shoulder screaming “don’t you even think about touching a keyboard.” No computing!!! What else could I do, I had to leave the house.

I headed out searching for a ray of sunshine and found one buying tickets to our local Library’s weekend event “Books Alive- Festival of Reading.” The events includes author presentations, book signings, a luncheon with Keynote Speaker Carl Hiaasen who wrote Hoot, Basket Case, Sick Puppy, Lucky You, Double Whammy, and on and on. I’m quite a fan of his books. All that topped off with a Saturday night, cocktail attire, Literary Gala , who can resist a gala!

Learning my way around my new small town I made a few wrong turns before finding the downtown library. I detoured on my way back taking a small street I had never driven down before. My eyes brightened as I saw some small artsy shops and heard them calling my name. Today’s diversion was so much fun and so successful that I almost forgot it was raining.

No comments: