Saturday, September 10, 2011

Remembering 9/11 With a New Generation


For the 10th anniversary of 9/11, I found a craft to share with my friend’s third grade class, kids not even born yet on 9/11/2001. The “Remembrance Pin” project provided the perfect backdrop to teach about the three places (New York, Washington DC, and Pennsylvania) where disaster struck that fateful, awful day.

We (age appropriately) explained what happened as best one can explain an indescribable tragedy.  The teacher told her class that we all need to be sensitive to other people’s feeling and emotions especially regarding 9/11.  It was very sad thing that happened and sometimes people cry when they talk about it, my own voice quivering when I spoke.

The teacher shared that September 11 is a day of service to honor all who died, explaining that service was doing something for someone else and expecting nothing in return.

The kids listened intently and then hands started flying up. One child saw news footage on TV of the burning buildings and people jumping out of windows. Another child raised her hand saying that her grandfather died in the twin towers but not her grandma.

Their tiny fingers worked diligently to feed the strings through the beads and letters that would become their remembrance pins. It proved a bit of a challenge but when completed they smiled proudly saying it was hard and easy all at the same time. They pinned their new treasures to their shirts and carried the lesson out in the world. I felt so blessed and grateful to share this with them.

At the grocery store on my way home, the checkout clerk admired my remembrance pin. I told her it was a craft project I had done with a class of third graders today. Her eyes filled with tears as she told me she planned to wear her American flag pin this weekend. I quickly unhooked my remembrance pin and gave it to her. She asked my name and thanked me with tears spilling from her eyes as she pinned it on her work smock next to her name tag.  9/11 tugs on all our heartstrings and plays a song none of us will ever forget.

I have ten extra pins made up and ready to share. If you would like one be one of the first ten people to email me at caren.albers@gmail.com and I will mail it to you, my treat. Kit is available at http://www.makingfriends.com/911_crafts.htm.

Go for it! – LIVE YOUR DREAM

Certified Organic Dream Creatrix -  Caren Albers is a writer, blogger, writing coach, and personal growth enthusiast who still colors outside the lines. While learning to live her own dream she learned ways to inspire others to live theirs. Her eCourses based on Radmacher Focus Phrase™ use guided writing to explore, discover, and LIVE YOUR DREAM. http://carenalbersinspirations.com


No comments: