Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Layers

Today, I was late for my Photoshop Boot Camp Class. It’s not like real boot camp. I didn’t have to do any extra push-ups for being late. I wear sandals and Capri pants, but my mind engages in three straight hours of mental calisthenics, no breaks, no kidding.

I was late because I was trying to figure out the difference between Ginnie Mae, Freddie Mac, and Fanny Mae. Just in case you are interested, Ginnie Mae is a government owned corporation that guarantees bonds backed by home mortgages. Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac guarantee mortgages but have no government backing, even though the government set them up and will probably bail them out in the next few weeks.

Usually, if I am late it’s for no good reason other than trying not to get there too early and instead I get sucked into something like watching a rerun of Brett Michaels’ Rock of Love II. I sure hope he finds love this time around….I don’t think I have another season in me.

The class definitely lives up to its “Boot Camp” name. At the end of the third hour, I stagger out of there, willing myself to remember at least a few things I had learned, and promising I will do better next week.

Driving home I am robot-like, eyes glazed over, following the car in front of me way too closely. Extreme hunger sets in and I remember that I was starving after last week’s class, too. I make a mental note to pack a snack next week. God only knows how late that will make me.

No comments: