Monday, May 12, 2008

Origin of My Spark

I’m reading a book on creativity that suggests having notebooks and paper everywhere to jot down ideas. That way when inspiration comes, we are ready for it. I thought “great idea,” but did nothing.

Later while relaxing in a hot bath, a flash of brilliance, okay an idea, came to me and I wanted to write it down, but didn’t have any paper nearby. I decided to round up all my old journals and writing notebooks, there must have been 8-10 piled high on my bed, most barely used. I placed them all over the house, even in the car, ready to catch the next big idea.

I started glancing through and reading some previous entries and couldn’t believe my eyes. On May 11, 1979, in a journal titled “The Days of My Life,” I wrote about experiencing for the first time “living in the moment” and how I felt this total peace come over me that I fantasized was the peace that I’d feel at the time of my death “totally in the here and now” is how I described it and then I joked that “I didn’t even have to die to get it.”

Wow, I have been on this path since 1979! I am fascinated that I have been on this journey for twenty-nine years (almost to the day) and that I still value and pursue the same things in life.

May 11, 1979 was my first “present moment” experience and without this journal page, I would NEVER have remembered it. I vow, AGAIN to embrace journaling. Can you help me? Do you journal? Can you offer suggestions and ideas on developing a journaling habit so that I don't miss any insightful moments?

There are only three entries in “The Days of My Life” journal. Perhaps that’s where I will start. On page four I’ll write “May 12, 2008, I discovered the origin of my spark!”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got caught up with your blog again & enjoyed reading about your inspirations.

My geek side noticed that this post had "Labels" which could be used to search your blog for specific words or phrases. Cool!

Bob

Anonymous said...

I tried to start a journal but my hands are too tired from yard work to write. When I can manage some dexterity with my fingers, my first entry will say, "Never purchase rock again"! Followed by, "Bob and Caren are the definition of true friends".

We love you guys.

Dale