Thursday, July 10, 2008

I (State Your Dream)

What am I doing in support of my dream? This week I have to admit, not much.

I have been waiting around trying to figure out how to turn a spark into a flame, and a flame into a fire, when I know the answer, just keep striking matches and fan the embers with constant encouragement.

In a self-coaching moment, I asked “what are you willing to do right now in pursuit of your dream.” I answered “read about creativity.” So that’s what I did instead of writing. I finished Eric Maisel’s book Coaching the Artist Within and discovered that I have a dream, but not a plan for my dream.

One strategy Maisel suggests for taking action in pursuit of your dream is to devote an entire journal to dream-upholding. Write “My dream is (fill in your dream) and then every day write a sentence of two on how you will uphold your dream that day. Another of Maisel's ideas is to use a daily calendar divided into two sections. In the top section, every morning write your daily goals with respect to your creative life, and every evening in the bottom section summarize to what extent you achieved your goals.”

Starting tomorrow, I plan to institute at least one of these practices, probably the calendar one because I can buy one with beautiful pictures that I will love looking at. See I’m already starting to plan and I’m planning to keep on planning, too.

No comments: