Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Oops I Said it Again

This is important….be very careful what you say that you will NEVER do because the more conviction with which you say it, the more likely it is that you will do it. At least that has been my experience and the experience of many of my friends.

We used to drive by this area in Columbus and say “I’d never live here with all this traffic.” Then we decide to move to a better school district, and low and behold we end up moving to that very place. This has happened to me twice with houses and countless other things, the latest being Botox.

I swore I would NEVER get Botox. I thought my friends that did it, didn’t even need it. Then came my obsession with my Cyclops-like droopy eye. I sought the advice of a plastic surgeon about a minimally invasive procedure called a “Thread Lift,” but the procedure has been taken off the market.

While in his office, I decide to schedule an appointment to get rid of some broken blood vessels that are becoming harder and harder to cover with makeup. I make an appointment for the following day to get them “zapped.” Okay, am I retarded? (That was a rhetorical question.) It never occurred to me that it would hurt.

They numbed my face with an ice cube, (I’m not kidding) an ice cube in between zaps. The first laser felt like small electrical shocks, kind of “owie,” and the second laser felt like hot needles. Under the nose, she tells me is the most sensitive area, so she would stop if it became too painful. Turns out she was impressed because once I commit to something, I am IN all the way, pain be damned.

Okay, here's how my Laser experience led to my Botox experience. I was explaining to the laser tech about my Cyclops looks and she said that with Botox I could probably get some lift in the skin above the eye. That’s all I needed to hear. I began investigating.

At the next social gathering, I sat next to my “Botox-adventurous” friends and picked their brains for information and doctor recommendations. I went to the “top doc” in my area and he agreed that my eyes were asymmetrical with the right eye drooping. “Thank You!”

He thought about it for a while and said if I wanted, he’d be willing to try Botox injections to see if it helped. He asked that I return in two weeks to evaluate the results. I’m his little experiment now.

One thing leads to another on this slippery slope. But I’m not too worried about myself because I swear I’ll NEVER…..oops, I’m going to shut up now.

No comments: