Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Dream Searcher

When we are young, most of us become overly identified with our roles and carry them throughout our lives without ever even questioning them.

“Good with Numbers” becomes an accountant, “Good with People” maybe a social worker, “Good in Science” perhaps a doctor, “Good with Kids” teaches. Early on, we listen to what others say about our abilities and identify more with their assessments than we do with the vast unnamed qualities that make up our personalities.

Unfortunately, role identifications get attached to us at a very young age when we don’t fully know “who we are.” I’m sure you know many adults with varying degrees of dissatisfaction with their jobs or lives and still they cling to their original role identification unable to let go or create a new one for themselves.

I call myself a dream searcher because I dropped my childhood identity and began experimenting with “who I am.” I love trying on “new hats” to see how they fit, because fit is everything. I can be “Good with Whatever” but if it doesn’t fit my life right now, it will not fulfill me. I may stay a dream searcher my entire life, the idea does have appeal to me. It just means I haven’t ruled anything completely out yet.

Not everyone can or would want to do this, but what you can do is carve out a little corner of your life and experiment. Make room for something that has always interested you. You will be amazed at how the ripple effect of joy can overflow into other areas of your life. Before you know it, you are changed. Not because of a grand plan or a sweeping gesture, but because of your willingness to look at your world through the eyes of a child and dream.

No comments: