Thursday, April 24, 2008

Inner Fitness

Exercise is my nemesis. I have been in and out shape for nearly fifty five years. As I grow older, I want to keep moving, running, dancing, jumping (not that much jumping) but you get the idea. I want to keep my body limber and my muscles strong, but I resist an exercise routine.

Last fall was the closest I've come to a consistent commitment in years, but I “fell off the wagon.” Where is my “inner coach” when I need her?

I’m wondering if my problem is the word “exercise” or the word “routine.” My days free flow and create themselves many times, but I don’t think I’m allergic to routines. I think it’s the E-word “exercise.” It carries so much negative connotation for me, all the broken promises to myself.

Yesterday, I tried unsuccessfully to motivate myself to take a long walk or go to the gym. Then I remembered a trick I learned last February on my Florida trip. I stopped calling it “exercise or gym” and started calling it “meditation.” Knowing myself better is something I value, so spending an hour dedicated to “meditating” on me seems worthwhile and something I don’t resist.

The “meditation” just happens to take place at California Family Fitness on the wave machine where I practice being in the present moment. Yeah, I can still use headphones and watch the HGTV if I want to or listen to the music channel, but it’s “me” time. Time dedicated to finding me or losing me, whichever I need at that moment.

Is there a goal or an intention that keeps eluding you? Try looking at it through new eyes. Use a new word, one that aligns with your purpose and see if that small shift in words, creates a big shift in your perception. It did for me.

No comments: